Friday, August 28, 2009

Oregon Caves


I have sadly neglected the family blog in favor of my card-making blog lately. I recently discovered that there are people (like two actually. Hi Jess and Mike!) who actually read this blog, so, rather than continue to disappoint them, I've renewed my resolution to try to be better about the occasional updates.

We've just gotten back from a week in Southern Oregon. The first few nights were at Cave Junction, with the main attraction being the Oregon Caves nearby.


The boys were probably most impressed by the enormous beetle they rescued from the pond in front of the nearby diner. But I do think that they learned something about geology from our tour. The rock formations were incredible.

Kids do need to be taller than 42" to go on a full cave tour because of the cave's open and steep staircases. But even if they can't go on the whole cave tour, you can take them in on a sneak peek, where they can see the first room of the cave. And there are junior ranger booklets with lots of activities for kids and parents to partake in, and those trails at the monument are fun to discover. http://www.nps.gov/orca/forkids/index.htm

(and also, if you have older friends, be aware that it can be a bit strenuous, ask my friend Wendy who brought her aging grandparents)

We did the No Name trail -- breathtaking!

It was great fun. I highly recommend the experience if you have young kids (if I were to do it again, I would have allowed more time to explore the trails near the caves as they were just gorgeous).

More on our trip in later blog posts... for now, we're safely back at home. The boys are happily "playing with" ants in the front yard.


1 comment:

Jessica said...

I love the Oregon Caves...been so long since I've visited, though.

Glad you guys had so much fun on your vacation.