Saturday, July 12, 2008

Summer Camp!

Tomorrow, we take the boys to Camp Collins, a YMCA camp not far from home, and leave them for a week of learning new skills, fun and becoming a little more self-reliant and responsible.

I'm a little freaked about the prospect of their first week without family supervision, but the boys are really looking forward to it and I think I'll be able to enjoy being child-free for the week with a minimum of guilt.

As suggested by the Family Handbook, I mailed them each care packages on Friday so that they would receive something from us soon after they arrived at camp.

The clerk at the Killingsworth Post Office (which I like because the clerks are always so cheerful) commented on the short distance the envelopes would be travelling and I explained about my kids heading off to summer camp. He asked what we would be doing while the boys were out of town. I explained that my children THOUGHT that we would be spending the week weeping, clutching photos of them and generally counting the minutes until their return (the truth is that we're both looking forward to some carefree days off this week).

He and I laughed out loud as we imagined the scene that might be staged upon the boys' arrival home: mom and dad, weak with grief, sitting, surrounded by family albums, piles of crumpled tissues scattered about.

No comments: