Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Seriously. Bad. Car. Karma.



Okay, I thought I was done with the car issues with the last traumatic post, but sadly no!

It's relatively minor, compared to getting cars stolen and sideswiped, but...

Tad reported the newly-found OLD car (which we'd signed away possession and title to the insurance company, dutifully sending them all our keys) to the insurance company, giving them the address that it was at. They asked him to notify the police department.

When he did, they sent a tow truck to tow the car away, which puzzled the agent that the insurance company had sent out, who called Tad, who, of course, had no idea that the police had acted so quickly.

The impound lot called Tad, wanting him to pick up our car that had been towed away. Tad explained that it was no longer our car, though the insurance company had not yet had time to transfer the registration, so as far as the police were concerned, it was our car and therefore our responsibility to come and get.

Now, mind you, our experience with the Portland Police Department had, up to this time, been stellar -- in fact the officer who took down my report the first time my car was stolen actually had located it for me on his own accord.

This particular officer, though, got a bit cranky with Tad as he couldn't keep up with the chain of events.

Eventually, though, the insurance company talked Tad through the procedure to call the impound lot and officially release the automobile to the insurance company.

After that, my faithful green Honda disappeared from our lives altogether.

Meanwhile, I finally received the title for the new car and trotted down to the DMV only to discover that the paperwork that the seller and I had worked on wasn't going to work. The DMV clerk informed me that I would have to return to the original seller and get him to fill out more paperwork.

"But he's in Bangkok!" I told her. No pity.

Luckily, I had his email address and he provided me his address to mail a package off to. Haven't received it back yet, but I'm ever hopeful. In the meantime, I guess the car's not really yet officially registered to me yet.

Then last week, someone yanked the emblem off the back of the new car.

Dang!

I'm knocking on wood that we are DONE with this all!

1 comment:

Liz said...

Where do you live? Maybe you need to stash a Holy Card of Mary on your dash so no one will mess with your sweet little Hondas. This truly works in some neighborhoods. Sounds like you could use a little GOOD karma.