Friday, October 24, 2008

Economic Woes


This photo amused me (though, of course, I don't necessarily endose the sentiment)

The recent 700 billion dollar bailout has been so much on people's minds lately.


There are some who don't believe that we should have anted up the money, viewing the act as a handout to fat cat financial types who made poor decisions and got themselves into the mess to begin with.


My brother, who lives in conservative, rural Medford, has coworkers who've protested that action.


I don't pretend to know all there is about the economy, but I do know that everything in it is interlinked and troubles in one quarter can quickly ripple to other areas.
  • The company that I work for has recently announced upcoming layoffs, will be closing two plants and is dropping and entire product line.
  • My old workplace, The Columbian Newspaper, is facing possible bankruptcy.
  • I ran into a coworker who I happen to know is very interested in his finances. In the course of conversation, it came out that his financial portfolio took a 40% dip in the recent financial downturn. As he is nearing the age of retirement he doesn't have as much time as the rest of us to allow his portfolio to again grow to where it was and beyond.
While I don't feel in imminent danger of losing my job, the truth is that no one is invulnerable to this possibility. If that were to happen, with the current state of the market, it might be tough to find something else.

No matter what your political views, our country is at such a critical juncture. If you haven't already, read up all you can and vote with an informed mind.

VOTE!!!!

No comments: