Friday, November 14, 2008

It's about love


There are many who may disagree with the assertion that "it's about love," but I don't. Personally, when I see two people in a loving, committed relationship, I do not feel my own marriage threatened in any way. 

Keith Olbermann's statement that there's little enough love in this world already, so why would we take the time and effort to quash out love that doesn't meet our own narrow guidelines really has resonated with me.

I am very aware that it was not so long ago that my marriage to my husband would have been illegal in some states.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Molly - thanks for posting this.

Keith Olbermann is so eloquent and I agree with you - it is about love.

Anonymous said...

It's so funny how some people seem to believe that allowing another group to commit to one another in marriage would somehow diminish their own marriage.

Do they believe that affection is finite? Do they believe that there is only so much to go around and if we allow too many groups to have it legally recognized that theirs is somehow lessened?

I had a conversation with a friend when I mentioned how one day, I thought that the laws against same-sex marriage would be regarded in the same way that we now regard the anti-miscegenation laws now, equating same-sex marriage with inter-racial marriage and she told me that she didn't think that they were the same thing at all.

I'm at a loss to understand why they would be different.