Saturday, November 22, 2008

Taffy pull



To celebrate the first apartment in college in which I lived on my very own, I threw a housewarming party. I designed the invitations (printed on my state-of-the-art dot matrix printer) and planned the refreshments and party activities.

Always the party planner, I wanted to go beyond the typical tipsy gathering that characterized college social life.

In retrospect, combining frozen daiquiris with a taffy pull might not have been one of my more brilliant ideas...

Last week, I pulled out that same recipe (from ever-reliable Betty Crocker) and shared the fun with the boys. 

Clearly this illustrates that the same activity in different settings can have wildly different results (Making taffy with little boys = fun for all, very rewarding. Making taffy with drunken college kids = kind of a mess).

Good times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Taffy brings back fond memories - no, not college messes. But rather, the excitement that my late mother used to enjoy when I'd bring saltwater taffy back from the beach. For those times when I could take her to the beach, she was, well, elated.

Even as an adult, I still enjoy stopping for an inordinate amount of time in front of the window housing the taffy wrapping machine in Seaside, OR. It's one that has been used for many, many years, but still gets the job done. It sites in a store in the shadow of the WorldMark Resort on Broadway. I guess maybe I was an industrial engineer or a manufacturing engineer in a previous life.

Thanks for the taffy trip. A fond memory.